Monday, September 22, 2008

Eggerisms

I always have that same feeling when I'm about to finish a book. It falls on the same part of the spectrum as with breaking up with someone really great but you know that your relationship has reached its determinable end, or when a really awesome escapist trip is about to end, or like when something dear simply has to end like an amazing dinner birthday party for a friend. And always, always towards the end, I break the intended progression of the story by the author. Whenever I get that feeling I jump right into the last scene of the book then start reading disjointedly different scenes that leads up to that end in random order. 
I started reading You Shall Know Our Velocity out of interest piqued by a couple of quotes from the book a friend posted on her journal. Through the course of its neurotic and often painful narrative, I've had some opinions about the characters, some I liked more, some less than most of them. Towards the end, and after reading that there's another version of the book with an additional 50 page or so digressive narrative by the other main character (the story was narrated by one of the two friends),  I've somehow started seeing everyone, even the smaller nuances, on the same light. 

"You can't ever guess at life, at pain. All pain is real, and all pain is personal. It's the most personal thing we have. It eats each of us differently."
-- Dave Eggers

No comments:

Post a Comment